Attorney General Josh Stein works to safeguard new york consumers from frauds and frauds. Stein and their customer Protection Division have actually assisted thousands of customers as if you have more than $100 million of the cash back, and have now helped win $250 million in cost cost savings on your own energy prices.
Exactly How We Help Customers
We want to help if you’ve been tricked or scammed.
Attorney General Josh Stein’s Consumer Protection professionals protect new york customers. We battle unjust business methods like frauds and frauds. We’ve assisted a huge selection of a huge number of customers as if you have more than $100 million of one’s cash back, and now have helped win $250 million in cost savings in your energy prices.
File a grievance
It is possible to register a complaint with us and we’ll work to eliminate it. We respond to 20,000 customer complaints every year. When we locate a pattern of illegal company methods, we are able to enforce what the law states on behalf of all North Carolina customers. Although we can’t express you in an exclusive appropriate situation, we possibly may manage to assist in the event that you didn’t get what you taken care of or had been tricked into a negative deal.
We should allow you to avoid dilemmas from the beginning. View the video taking a stand, battling back once again to read about frauds and frauds. Before you file a problem, read our customer information. We give an explanation for law and present consumers advice on numerous subjects, like simple tips to stop telemarketing telephone calls, get a good loan or purchase a new car.
Top Consumer Guidelines
- Say no to sales pitches that are high-pressure. In the event that offer is just good today, disappear.
- Constantly browse contracts carefully them, and make sure all written documents match what you’ve been promised before you sign. Never ever signal a document you don’t understand or who has blanks to later be filled in.
- Be mindful whenever answering telemarketers, door-to-door vendors, and text or email pitches. In the place of giving an answer to unsolicited provides, determine when and where you want to shop.
- You not have to produce a purchase or spend taxes, charges or other costs ahead of time to win an award. Anybody who demands an upfront charge for a award is wanting to scam you.
- Never give away your Social Security quantity, bank card or banking account number or any other information that is personal to anybody you don’t understand who contacts you.
- Be skeptical of upfront charges. New york legislation causes it to be unlawful to get advance costs for many forms of work, such as for example foreclosure debt and assistance settlement assistance. If an advance re payment is necessary for any other types of deals, make use of bank card whenever feasible. Thus giving you some security in case your purchase does arrive or the n’t work is not finished.
- Sell to organizations you understand or that can come recommended by those you trust. Take a look at companies using the Attorney General’s Office at 1-877-5-NO-SCAM or your Better that is local Business prior to making major acquisitions.
- Join the never Phone registry to lessen unwelcome telemarketing phone calls. To register, phone 1-888-382-1222 through the number you intend to register or visit www.donotcall.gov. When you’re in the list, report Do No Call violators into the Attorney General’s workplace.
- Check your credit file frequently. You’re entitled to 1 free credit history each year from each nationwide credit bureau. To get into your free credit reports, see www.annualcreditreport.com or call 1-877-322-8228.
- If an offer appears too good to be real, it most likely is.
Customer Alerts & Columns
Read our alerts to discover more on the newest frauds, or register with have our alerts brought to you by e-mail. You’ll be able to get advice on steer clear of common issues from Attorney General Stein’s consumer columns.
Moms and dads is now able to get a consumer that is protected freeze to shield kids against identification thieves.
Adult customers could possibly get a security that is free to help keep thieves from utilizing your credit plus a free of charge credit file on a yearly basis.
If you’re a victim of identity theft, we could help you to get started repairing the destruction.
Registering for the Try not to Call Registry provides you with the best to determine whom calls you in the home.
In the event that you’ve accompanied record but nonetheless get telephone calls from telemarketers, tell us. We’ve taken action against a large number of businesses, for illegal telemarketing, winning a lot more than $1 million from violators. Some telemarketers are crooks off to take your cash. Stein’s customer security group shuts down telemarketing fraudulence bands and helps victims obtain cash back whenever feasible.
Buying a house has become the most purchase that is important ever make. We investigate and prosecute mortgage fraudulence and offer advice on avoiding loans that are unfair. We’re North that is also helping carolinians unneeded house foreclosures.
View our customer security video Standing Up, battling back once again to find out more about how to prevent frauds.
Avoid Consumer Scams
Scammers are always picking out brand brand new tricks and twists to take your hard-earned money.
To guard your self from customer frauds and frauds, keep in mind:
- Never ever share your Social Security Number, bank account or credit card information with somebody you don’t understand whom calls you or email messages you.
- Walk far from high-pressure vendors whom let you know that a decision must be made by you straight away.
- Don’t indication any contract or any other documents until such time you’ve had an opportunity to read and realize it.
- Never ever spend money upfront to have that loan or win a lottery or sweepstakes.
- Don’t react to letters or e-mails that request you to help transfer money in to your bank wire or account cash from the nation.
- Don’t money checks you obtain in the mail along side a letter or call that tells you you’ve won a unexpected award. The checks are many most likely fake.
- Check always away a company with Attorney General Josh Stein’s customer Protection Division at 1-877-5-NO-SCAM before you will do business using them.
You’ll figure out how to prevent the latest frauds and frauds by reading our customer alerts and columns. You may sign up to have alerts emailed for your requirements.
You could view our customer protection video and learn to file a grievance if you’re the target of a scam or deal that is bad.
Call us for Assistance
In the event that you want to learn to be a smarter consumer, call Attorney General Josh Stein’s consumer hotline toll free within North Carolina at 1-877-5-NO-SCAM or (919) 716-6000 if you think you’ve been the victim of a scam, or. You can even file a customer complaint on the web.